Family Login:

Francis P. Metcalf

Obituary for Francis P. Metcalf

November 13, 2018
Rockland, Massachusetts


Francis P (Frannie) Metcalf passed away peacefully on November 13th at the Webster Park Nursing Facility in Rockland where he had been cared for. He was 93. Frannie was the loving husband of the Late Barbara A. (Smith) Metcalf and he cherished every day of their 67 year marriage. Dad was a great father, devoted husband and devout Christian who loved Jesus. Dad was a Marine and World War Two Veteran. Dad leaves behind his son Stephan F. Metcalf of Barnstable MA, His daughter Deborah A. (Metcalf) Leach of Rockland MA. His son William S. Metcalf, of Hanson MA. His sonBruce A. Metcalf and Bruce's wife Gayle Metcalf of Kingston MA. Frannie was the father of the late David E. Metcalf, formerly of Brockton MA, and the late Scott P. Metcalf, formerly of Rockland MA. Dad leaves behind his brother William Metcalf and William'swife Barbara Metcalf of Bridgewater MA. He was the brother of the late Edward Metcalf, formerly of Rockland MA, Fredrick (Woody) Metcalf formerly of Rockland MA, and the late Paul Metcalf (The Massachusetts Cowboy), formerly of Rockland MA, and Paul's wife Milly Metcalf of Rockland MA. Dad was the proud and adorning Grandfather of 15 grandchildren and four great grandchildren. Dadhad many nieces and nephews.

Dad was born in Nashua New Hampshire on November 21, 1924 to the late Edward J. Metcalf and the late Margaret V (Peggie) Metcalf. The next few years, the family moved to various locations in and around Boston - including South Boston and Medford - before finally settling in Rockland MA, around 1932.

After graduating Rockland High School in 1943, Dad joined the Marines. He was sent to the South Pacific - where he participated in action against the Japanese on the Admiralty Islands as part of the New Guinea Campaign, the Solomon Islands Campaign, the Gilbert Islands Campaign and the Marshall Islands campaign. Dad was part of the amphibious landing on Okinawa in June of 1945. Dad spoke of hearing bullets flying just over the landing craft as they headed toward shore, and how they sounded like bees buzzing by. At a certain distance from shore all incoming would stop and there was a ghostly quiet as the landing craft approached the shore. Then after the front ramp dropped there was a pause and then all hell would break loose and suddenly they were facing a hail of mortar and gunfire while troops waded ashore. Dad said that every night the Japanese would send a plane over flying as high as it could. This would happen at different times every night. The enemy plane flying overhead would force the base to start the Air Raid alarms, everyone would have to get up and man their stations. The move was designed to keep the Marines on edge and deprive them of sleep. Dad said that they would listen to Tokyo Rose at night, a propaganda program the Japanese would broadcast aimed at reducing moral, and the Marines thought it was funny. After the Island was captured, Dad's Marine Division, the Air Wing Division, held guard duty for the Seabees (Construction Battalions) who were building the Airfields that brought bombers and fighters to the Japanese homeland. Dad spoke of giving candy and rations to the native children. While guarding Japanese prisoners, he would often give them extra food and water. That was Dad.

After finishing his mission on Okinawa, Dad was sent to the Philippines - stationed in Manilla. Dad remained in Manilla until the end of the war in 1946.

Dad earned his Honorable Discharge from the Marines and went to Boston Trade School, where he took up machining and welding. Over the years, Dad was employed as a Machinist, Welder, Truck Driver, Heavy Equipment Operator and general Handyman.

Dad's experiences in the South Pacific and the horrors on Okinawa had a profound impact on him - which began his turn to Jesus Christ. Over the course of many years, Dad became a very devout Christian who deeply loved Jesus.

Dad would go on to have many challenging times in his life,including seeing two of his sons die - but his faith in Jesus was never shaken. Dad enjoyed reading the Bible and sharing this thoughts and ideas with any and all that visited him. He loved carving and painting signs that said "Jesus Saves". He would give them away with a Gospel music CD to anyone who wanted one. Dad called that his "Ministry". Dad loved peaceful things - the ocean, walking along the beach, and sitting on the seawalls watching the boats come and go. He loved his cats and his quiet times.

Dad was a kind and gentle man who never raised his voice. He was loved and admired by all those who knew him. Dad deeply loved each and every one of his children. Money and things meant nothing to him, he just wanted to see those around him happy. He would give you the shirt off of his back or his last dollar. Dad loved my mother and missed her terribly ever since she died over two years earlier. He was a very spiritual man and devout Christian who loves Jesus Christ. He truly believed that God would call him home someday and that he would be back with his wife, and the two of them could then move forward - in eternity.

Goodbye Dad, you were a great father and you did wonderfully by us all. We all love you. We know that you're happy now with Mom and we know that someday we will all see you again.

A visitation will be held on November 30, 2018 from 5:00 PM to 8:00 PM at the Magoun-Biggins Funeral Home, 135 Union Street Rockland, MA.

Arrangements By

Magoun-Biggins Funeral Home

135 Union Street
Rockland, MA 02370
Map  | Profile

View Phone Number
Email Us